The Duke of Edinburgh, President, the Guinea Pig Club (GPC) unveils a commemorative monument at the National Memorial Arboretum, Staffordshire .
The Guinea Pig Club was formed in 1941 by badly injured and burned Allied Servicemen, many of whom had fought in the Battle of Britain, who were being treated at the Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, by the pioneering plastic surgeon Sir Archibald McIndoe and his highly skilled team.
The ‘Guinea Pig’ name derives from the experimental treatment and the pioneering nature of the surgery that these men underwent. By the end of the Second World War, there were 649 members of the GPC, but now only 17 are still living in the UK.
The Duke of Edinburgh was received by Dr Sandy Saunders, Guinea Pig and GCP Trustee. His Royal Highness will unveil the GPC Monument during a ceremony of dedication.
Following the ceremony, The Duke of Edinburgh met with surviving members of the Club and their guests for afternoon tea.
The National Memorial Arboretum is the UK’s year-round centre of Remembrance; a place which honours the fallen, recognises service and sacrifice, and fosters pride in the UK. It is a living and lasting memorial. There are more than 330 dedicated memorials across the 150-acre site.
The Duke of Edinburgh has been President of the Guinea Pig Club since 1960.