Happy 99th Birthday Prince Philip
Today we’re celebrating the 99th birthday of The Duke of Edinburgh!
Buckingham Palace has released a new photograph (above) of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to celebrate his special day. The image was taken by Steve Parsons in the Quadrangle at Windsor Castle.
Born in Corfu, Prince Philip’s mother, Princess Alice went into labour on June 10th, 1921 and was placed on the dining room table, which was deemed the most comfortable place in the house for the 36-year-old mother to give birth.
At 10am, the only son of Prince Andrew of Greece, arrived. Sixth in line to the Greek throne, he was registered in nearby Corfu town under the name of Philippos.
“He is a splendid, healthy child, thank God,” wrote Princess Alice to a relative three weeks later.
Today, instead of facts, we’re looking at a few funny quotes made by The Duke of Edinburgh…
- After being told that Madonna was singing the Die Another Day theme in 2002, the Duke commented: “Are we going to need ear plugs?”
- On a visit to Canada in 1969, Prince Philip announced: “I declare this thing open, whatever it is.”
- When asked to stroke a Koala bear, Australia 1992: “Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease.”
- Shouting from the deck of Britannia in 1994 to the Queen who was chatting to her hosts on the quayside: “Yak, yak, yak; come on get a move on.”
- On seeing Elton John’s gold Aston Martin in 2001 he said to the singer: “Oh it’s you that owns that ghastly car is it? We often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.”
- To a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands, 1994: “Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?”
- Meeting actress Cate Blanchett in 2008 he asked her to fix his DVD player because she worked in the film industry. “There’s a cord sticking out of the back,” he said. “Might you tell me where it goes?”
- Addressing a group of industrialists in 1961, he said: “I’ve never been noticeably reticent about talking on subjects about which I know nothing.”
- Meeting a young fashion designer at Buckingham Palace in 2009 he told him: “You didn’t design your beard too well, did you? You really must try better with your beard.”
Wishing a very happy 99th Birthday to His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh! pic.twitter.com/LGrRPjezkS— The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (@KensingtonRoyal) June 10, 2020
Wishing The Duke of Edinburgh a very happy 99th birthday! 🎊 pic.twitter.com/JDTwANrxra— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) June 10, 2020
🎈🎂Wishing The Duke of Edinburgh a very happy birthday!— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) June 10, 2020
His Royal Highness turns 99 today and will spend the day with The Queen at Windsor. pic.twitter.com/636XWtBAqy